For the last freakin' time, you cannot put people who like Xander as a character in a box, mark it as "typical Xander fan," and then assume that everyone who likes that character is the same.
I can honestly say that you will be shocked down to your toes if you assume that all Xander fans are all of the following:
- Politically conservative
- Christian evangelical and/or fundamentalist
- Will automatically agree with you on any and all issues (pro-Xander fans)
- Are your sworn enemy in some way (anti-Xander fans)
It might surprise you to know that most of the Xander fans I know are the following:
- Politically liberal
- Pretty much crosses the spectrum religion-wise
- Never asked for racial identity and know what? Don't care either.
- Disagree with each other on any number of issues to the point of out-and-out dislike between subfactions (pro-Xander fans)
- Have a whole lot more in common with you than you realize if only you'd talk to us instead beating us over the head with your weird assumptions (anti-Xander fans)
So, for the last time, stop calling anti-Xander fans liberal scum, because one of those liberal scum may be sitting right next to you fandom-wise and may be inspired to repeatedly kick you in the head until you get a freakin' clue.
And stop calling pro-Xander fans "conservative misogynists," because one of those pro-Xander fans may be sitting right next to you politically speaking and may be inspired to repeatedly kick you in the head until you get a freakin' clue.
Furthmore, BtVS has been off the air how long? You'd think you folks would've figured out by now the following:
- People are allowed to hate your favorite character
- People are allowed to love the character you hate the most
- Being a fan or an anti-fan of a character says nothing about the real person holding those opinions
- Everyone's take on canon and characters varies wildly from person to person; while you say "asparagus" about an issue, someone else is saying "ice cream" about the exact same issue
- Being rude to someone just because you dislike their their favorite charactes says a whole lot more about you than it does the person you're being rude to or bad-mouthing
Now that we have that cleared up, I think you should know that I'm saying all of the above with absolutely no love at all.
This rant brought to you by random, stray rude comments I've seen floating around in various places over the past two weeks in the last hold-outs in Buffy fandom. I blame those crappy comic books for turning formerly reasonable-seeming people back into raging jerks and irrational shippers.